• Illustrators (including duos and collectives), commissioners, agents and tutors are invited to submit illustration created since 1 January 2022 into the World Illustration Awards 2022.
• There is no limit to the style or format of the illustrations that you can enter, but you do need to select one of the 10 categories for each of your entries.
• You can enter as many projects as you like!
• The competition is open to illustrators over 18 years old.
• Current students and recent graduates are welcome to enter, as well as those without formal training.
Every entry is reviewed by an independent judge, who will use the following criteria to look for great illustration that is:
• Technically excellent
• Communicates its Idea or message brilliantly
• Explores illustration as an artform
When you are thinking about what to enter, as well as considering these judging criteria, think about illustration that really sings – work with the spark that lifts it off the page or screen.
It may be that it has come from a personal passion, or challenged you technically – or been one of those surprise commissions that just works.
There is no right or wrong – most illustrators will have at least one project that makes them sit up and think ‘Yes! That’s what I want my work to do’. Usually, those are the projects to enter.
You must enter using the online form. You will need to choose a category, format and whether to enter as a New Talent or Professional illustrator.
• You can choose whether to enter a single or multiple element project into any of the categories.
• A single entry is one lead ‘hero’ still image or animated gif (under 4MB size)
• A multiple entry is one lead ‘hero’ still image or animated gif PLUS up to four additional still images, animated gifs, or direct URL links to Vimeo or YouTube, or a mix in any combination.
• Animations (other than animated gifs with a file size under 4MB) must be entered as a multiple entry with a “hero” image or gif PLUS up to four direct URL links to Vimeo or YouTube.
New Talent and Professional
To apply as New Talent you must be one of the following:
• a current student on an undergraduate course (bachelor’s or equivalent).
• a recent graduate (graduating from a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in 2022)
• an illustrator without a bachelor’s degree or equivalent with less than one year’s work experience as an illustrator.
Everyone else should enter as Professional.
Winners of WIA2023 can look forward to some exciting prizes, from trophies and AOI memberships, to cash for the Overall Winners.
20 Highly Commended Projects (one New Talent and one Professional per category) will receive:
• A WIA Certificate.
• An in depth profile feature on the AOI website as part of the Online Showcase.
Each of the 20 Category Winners (one New Talent and one Professional per category) will receive:
• A WIA trophy.
• An enhanced entry in the digital catalogue.
• A complimentary AOI membership with Folio for one year with all the benefits this brings including business advice, discounted online portfolio and more.
Overall Prizes include:
WIA2023 Overall Professional Winner, selected from the ten Category Winners will receive a coveted WIA Trophy.
• They will win a generous cash prize of £2,000.
• They will also receive a two-page marketing package in the Directory of Illustration, valued at $4,330 US Dollars, including a 100-image professional portfolio on directoryofillustration.com
One of the ten New Talent Category Winners will be named as the WIA2023 Overall New Talent Winner.
• They will win a generous cash prize £1,000, and a copy of the Directory of Illustration.
There are also four Cross-Category Awards on offer:
AOI Members Award, selected from any AOI Member shortlisted for WIA2023.
The winner will receive:
• a complimentary year-long membership plus folio
• a copy of the Guide to Law and the current Directories, worth £296.95
• a WIA Certificate
The DI Award, selected from all shortlisted Professional entries
• The winner will receive a single page marketing package in the Directory of Illustration, valued at $2,695 US Dollars.
• The program includes a 100-image professional portfolio on directoryofillustration.com plus a one-on-one consultation with a professional Directory of Illustration marketing consultant on how to best present your work to the American market.
• The winner will also be presented with a WIA certificate.
The Huion Digital Innovation Award (绘王数字创新奖), selected from all shortlisted entries using digital media in all or part of its creation
• Huion Digital Innovation Award (绘王数字创新奖) is given to a project displaying considerable innovation with digital media.
• The winner will win a Huion pen display (high-end).
• They will also be presented with a WIA certificate.
All shortlisted unrepresented New Talent entries are eligible for the SAA Agents Award for New Talent
• The winner is offered a six-month trial representation with one of the leading SAA Illustration agents.
• This award includes mentoring and career development.
• The winner will also benefit from having their work showcased on the SAA’s website and across their social media platforms.
• The winner will also be presented with a WIA certificate
The ten categories reflect the breadth of illustration being created today. Your project may fit into more than one category, so do check the descriptions to select which is the best for you. It can help to consider how you want your project to be seen, or the type of clients you might want to attract.