The AOI is hosting a new members exhibition on the theme of ‘innovation’.
Illustrator Laurie Rowan
This is your opportunity to platform your most exciting, experimental and original work at Hoxton Arches in East London (next to Hoxton Overground Station).
We will accept as many AOI Member proposals as we can for the exhibition, which will be open to the public for three days, with events and talks running in the space alongside the show.
2 September, midday – Deadline for proposals
23 September – Submission of final work information and image/animation files
7 October – Drop off work to Hoxton Arches
8 October – AOI will install the work
9 October – Private View
10 – 12 October – Exhibition open to the public
13 October – Take down and collect work.
Exhibition submission guidelines:
- The theme of the exhibition is innovation; this can be work you feel is particularly innovative in some way, either in format, media, theme or usage. It can also explore ways illustration could be used in future, or applications that are particularly new and exciting. Use your imagination to interpret the theme as broadly as you want!
- The work for the exhibition can either be something you have made already and you’d like to showcase, or you can propose something new.
- You can submit moving image work. Please note that moving image/animations will be shown on a combined showreel and not on individual screens.
- It is free to enter. Proposals must reach us by midday on Monday 2 September.
- You must send or bring your work, and collect it, or arrange for collection to and from Hoxton Arches. Unfortunately, we will not be able to store or post anything! If you want to pay for a new print, we have a discount with ThePrintSpace – if you wish to print with them, we can collect your print directly from them, saving you the cost of delivery. This may work out cheaper than posting an existing work.
- All 2D work should be unmounted and unframed on paper or a thin support. All 2D work will be hung on bulldog clips. There is no size limit for 2D work.
- Small 3D works will be shown on shelves or a small table.
- Zines or books will be shown on picture ledges
- Animations or moving image will be shown on a large TV screen.
- If you have a large-scale work that you’d like to share, please do! The space is big, and we can accommodate freestanding pieces.
- You have the option to sell a print via our online print-on-demand shop. Prints will remain on the store during the exhibition, and then stay on the store for up to six months, at your discretion. The AOI will take 50% commission on all sales. We will send you instructions for this once we have confirmed the inclusion of your work.
How to apply:
Send your submissions with the subject line ‘AOI Members Exhibition 2019’ to [email protected] by midday, Monday 2 September 2019, with a low res image of the proposed work (or indicative image/s), and the following information in the body of the email:
- Your name
- Your artist name
- A short biography (no more than 150 words)
- Contact details including email and phone number
- Social media handles and/or website
Please submit the following information PER WORK:
- Title of work
- Size of work
- A short text about the proposed work (no more than 200 words)
- If you are submitting a moving image work, please send us a link to Vimeo/YouTube or similar
Images must be saved with the filename artistname_title and must be saved in the correct orientation.
Applications will only be accepted by email.
The AOI will confirm if your proposed event has been selected by Friday 6 September 2019, and/or your participation in the exhibition by Monday 9 September 2019.
Work must be delivered to Hoxton Arches on 7 October 2019. Alternatively, you can order a print from our partners Printspace (if you choose to do this, we can give you a special discount code). We will then collect your print from their shop, and take it to the exhibition space.
By submitting your work, the artist confirms that they are the copyright holder of the work.
- The exhibition will be open Thursday – Saturday, opening times to be confirmed.
- The gallery will be invigilated by AOI staff.
- Your work will be accompanied by a label – we will ask you for finalised information once we have confirmed your participation.
- Artwork must be collected from Hoxton Arches on Sunday 13 October between 11am and 3pm.
- The exhibition will be open to the general public, as well as those attending ticketed events.
- We reserve the right not to exhibit work that is considered inappropriate or offensive.
- Artwork may not be removed before the end of the exhibition.
The AOI will:
- Organise and curate the exhibition and events programme, including installing and taking down the exhibition.
- Host the Private View.
- Lead on press, marketing and promotion, and provide you with a toolkit for promoting your participation as well.
- Provide photographic documentation of the exhibition and events.
- Provide ticketing and administer any sales of work
- The AOI reserves the right to select the works for the exhibition, and is not obliged to accept any submission for exhibition for any reason.
- The AOI will select a limited number of events based on staffing, capacity and viability.
- Illustrators agree to adhere to deadlines, and that their work may not be included if they submit information late.
- By participating in this exhibition, you agree that The AOI can use your submitted images to promote the exhibition in electronic and print media of all types.
- Artists must insure their work for the full time that the work is in the care of the AOI. All works are exhibited at the artist’s own risk and the AOI takes no responsibility for any damages for work during the delivery installation, exhibition or take down of the show.
- You must be a current member of the AOI.