Varoom is a globally recognised illustration magazine offering informed comment on the breadth of the artform. Published twice a year by the AOI it has recently enjoyed a design relaunch along with an increased readership. AOI members receive it as part of their membership and it is also available in shops and on subscription worldwide.
Following John O Reilly’s fantastic tenure we are seeking a new editor to take Varoom forward from issue 38. You should have a clear vision on how to effectively combine considered insight with industry practice and inspire illustrators, agents and commissioners worldwide. Varoom is supported by an editorial board, and has a stable of regular contributors.
Varoom should be of relevance to practising illustrators at all stages of their career as well as commissioners, students and agents. It should embrace the breadth of the illustration industry, reflecting current practise and revealing boundary challenging and inspiring new work.
- Work with AOI Publisher, Derek Brazell, and Editorial Board to devise content and shape and drive an ambitious vision for Varoom magazine ensuring its on-going popularity, reach and relevance.
- Work closely with designer over design and imagery.
- Liaise with contributors, securing all content in a timely fashion.
- Work within the magazine budget.
- Write at least one long form article, an editorial and one other piece per issue.
- Collate a minimum of 5 online articles extending content from the magazine.
- Contribute to marketing and promotion where relevant.
Fee: £3,000 per issue
How to Apply
Applicants should apply with a CV and 1 page covering letter detailing their vision for the magazine and how they will realise that, plus 2 samples of recent published writing. Informal conversations prior to application are welcomed.
Deadline for applications 5pm 3 November
Interviews week commencing 13 November
Apply to Derek Brazell firstname.lastname@example.org