February 26 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Make your very own notebooks and sketchbooks on this afternoon masterclass with award-winning artist and illustrator Merlin Evans.
You will learn the principles of bookbinding to make a 3-hole pamphlet chapbook, mixed paper notebooks and a professional hardback accordion sketchbook.
You will explore paper types, stitching, binding and ways to adapt your bookbinding skills to your projects and customise your books to suit your style and needs. You’ll finish the day with a stack of beautiful handmade books.
This session is ideal for artists, illustrators, designers or those wishing to learn the art of making beautiful notebooks and sketchbooks to sell or gift to friends and family
No prior experience needed.
Need to know
This live online class will take place during one afternoon and include real-time exercises, demonstrations, group discussion and feedback.
Participants will receive Zoom and Padlet login details the day before the class – these will be sent to the email address linked to your Paypal account so please email email@example.com as soon as possible from your contact email address if this is different to the one linked to your Paypal account
What you’ll need
- Ruler (ideally 30cm+)
- Spray mount or glue stick
- Sewing needle (any type)
- 2m thick cotton thread or bookbinding yarn
- Cutting mat or surface to safely cut paper on
- 1 roll or a few A3 sheets of wrapping or decorative paper
- 4 sheets of A3 coloured card
- 25-30 sheets of white A3 cartridge paper
- 20 sheets A4 cartridge paper
- 20 sheets A4 lined paper or dotted graph paper
- 1 sheet A1 for each accordion sketchbook you wish to make (180-220gsm)
- A3 mount-board or hard card in colour of your choice (any type)
- Access to Zoom and Padlet
Please note that we will need to receive your email by 5pm GMT on 16 December 2021 to send your e-ticket before 24 December 2021.
E-tickets for bookings made after this date will be sent out after 4 January 2022.
For further details and more events visit the House of Illustration website.