March 16 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Spend a day with the award-winning illustrator and designer as he shares his journey to success, along with his agent and team at Puffin
Join Dapo Adeola online for a day of inspiring discussion, the first in our Industry Insightseries of professional development events for illustrators.
In conversation with his agent, editor, designer and publicist, Dapo will talk you through how children’s picture books are made – from pitching and production to publication and promotion.
Over three sessions, each focused on a case study of one of his bestselling books, Dapo will chart his journey into publishing and highlight the different experiences you may come across in the industry. Each session will be packed with visual examples of everything from work-in-progress sketches to final spreads
There will also be plenty of practical advice, information and discussion about different aspects of working in children’s publishing.
What we’ll cover
- Getting started in the industry
- Finding the right publisher and agent for you
- Developing a story with an author
- Working with an in-house editor and designer
- Drawing relatable characters
- Designing layouts
- Collaborating with other illustrators
- Promoting your work
- Tackling ‘imposter syndrome’
- Using your voice and platform as an illustrator
- Using children’s books to promote real positive change
About the speakers
Dapo Adeola is an award-winning illustrator and designer who creates characters and images that challenge expectations around race and gender in a fun and upbeat way. He is the co-creator and illustrator of bestselling picture book Look Up! – winner of the Waterstones Children’s Book Prize and the number 1 debut picture book of 2019. Born and bred in London of Nigerian heritage, Dapo is a tireless advocate of highlighting the possibilities of a career in illustration to underrepresented members of the Black diaspora.
- Sallyanne Sweeney, Agent, MBC Creative
- Chloe Parkinson, PR Manager, Penguin Random House UK
- Joe Marriot, Publisher, Penguin Random House UK
- Monica Whelan, Designer Manager, Penguin Random House UK
Hey You! contributors Chanté Timothy, Joelle Avelino and Selom Sunu.
Priced £8 – £38.50
House of Illustration is pleased to be able to offer subsidised tickets for early career illustrators, students and unwaged participants, with support from Puffin, an imprint of Penguin Random House UK.
This in recognition of barriers to entry to the publishing industry, particularly experienced by illustrators of African, Caribbean, Central Asian, East Asian, South Asian, South East Asian and West Asian heritage.