Tax for freelancers

It’s that time of year when freelancers realise that they have to get a move on to complete their tax returns for the end of the month. Here are a couple of pointers you may not have thought about:

– You can claim for cultural expenditure, as it is something that feeds back into your artwork. This will include theatre and cinema tickets, books and magazine subscriptions, even subscriptions to on-demand services. But a percentage should be excluded from any claims to cover private elements of usage.

– Student loans must be mentioned, also child benefit when either partner is earning more than £50,000 per year.

– Ensure you retain all tax related paperwork (receipts, bank and card statements etc.) together in a file for six years.

6th January 2016

World Illustration Awards 2023 – Longlist Announced!
Be part of #WIA2023 - a global celebration of great illustration. The Longlist will now be announced by category from 16th - 25th May 2023.
Issue 42 and Back issues available!
Contacts (across 3 sectors) for 350+ UK Commissioners... BUY NOW!
Get seen by commissioners with a 20 image Folio.


Join our mailing list to get the latest news.