Hartlepool Festival of Illustration
4 June – 4 July
Throughout June 2015 Hartlepool will become the home of world-renowned illustrators, cartoonists and comic artists for the Festival of Illustration, and the programme of talks at Hartlepool Festival of Illustration has now been released. Speakers include John O’Reilly – Editor of Varoom on Friday 5 June, and there are many more over two days, including:
Made You Look – A Film Documentary exploring the landscape of commercial artists with Anthony Peters – Director, Paul O’Connor – Co-Director, David Waterstone – Producer plus Q&A
The good and the bad of working in comics: Hunt Emerson – Illustrator, Keith Robson – Illustrator, Tony Bennet – Publisher
Traditional vs Digital: Dan Mumford, Drew Millward, Tom Hovey, Tom J Newell – Illustrators
Also presenting are: Brothers of the Stripe, Sara Ogilvie, Ingi Jensson and Chris Riddell.
Booking here for free tickets
The Festival also includes these events, which are free to attend:
- A major exhibition of international illustrators work at Hartlepool Art Gallery, including Ralph Steadman, John McCrea (Marvel), Will Simpson (Game of Thrones), Axel Scheffler (The Gruffalo), Drew Millward, and Chris Mould amongst many others. The Gallery is at Church Square, TS24 7EX.
- Many of these artists will be taking part in the events on 5 & 6 June
- An illustrators market in Church Square, where visitors can buy work from exciting artists from around the country.
- Children’s workshops and storytelling in schools and libraries across Hartlepool
- Exhibition by the Book Sniffer in the Central Library including book launch.
The festival is a collaboration between CCAD, Hartlepool Borough Council and Seven Stories – the National Centre for Children’s Books along with significant support from major publishers and illustrators.