One of the questions we get asked a lot is ‘which category should I enter?’
This year, we have added some new categories and refreshed others, so there’s now a greater range to choose from.
Our Awards Team have put together some tips to help you decide which category to enter!
- There are ten categories that reflect the broad sectors of illustration being made today, covering everything from advertising to publishing, site specific to editorial.
- You can enter any category, and you can enter different projects into different categories, or enter the same project into different categories. You can only choose one category per entry.
- If you want to be seen as a specialist in a certain field, then consider placing your work in that category. Keep in mind where you want to position yourself as an illustrator, if in doubt.
- Thinking about the application of the illustration can be a useful way to decide which category to enter. Read the category descriptions carefully and see if any specify the usage of your illustration. That’s usually the best one to go for.
- You can enter the same project more than once into different categories, but you will need to upload and pay individually.
- The work doesn’t have to be commissioned, but in some categories – Commercial Publishing for example – it does have to be published.
Think about how you want to be seen when choosing your category, and remember you can enter the same work more than once into different categories.
More helpful advice can be found in our FAQs and Step by Step guide to filling in the entry