Learn how to create picture books with contemporary market appeal on this intensive online lunchtime course for adult beginners with Claire Alexander. As both a professional author and illustrator, Claire is uniquely placed to teach both writing and illustration in this highly specialised area.
This course will run from 7-9pm and will inspire you with new ideas, introduce you to relevant literary and artistic techniques and equip you with the commercial knowledge to take your ideas further.
By the end of 10 weeks you will have a created your own compelling colour characters in settings and a storyboard in pencil which can be made into a dummy book to be presented to publishers.
What you’ll do
- Learn how to write stories with convincing characters.
- Experiment with watercolour techniques and bring a character to life in colour.
- Explore narrative themes, structures and writing styles.
- Rough out a storyboard with compelling layouts.
- Learn how to make a book dummy to send to publishers.
- Gain an overview of the market and get advice on getting published.
- Receive personal feedback and group forum support.
- Receive resources on all aspects of picture book creation, from book length to approaching publishers, available exclusively to course participants
No prior experience needed.
Need to know
Download and read the Essential Information for more information about what the course involves, how it works and what materials you’ll need, and the Guidance for Participants for further information
About the tutor
Claire Alexander is an award-winning London-based author and illustrator with over 15 years’ experience creating picture books and over a decade’s experience teaching her bespoke Picture Book courses. She is currently working with Walker Books on two projects, as well as a follow up to her latest title A Little Bit Different. Recent collaborations include illustrations for Sean Taylor’s Humperdink Our Elephant Friend and The Snowbear. Other titles include The Best Bit of Daddy’s Day and Monkey and the Little One, Small Florence and Lucy and the Bully.
Read the Q&A with Claire
Course tickets £425 – £467.50
Please note that HOI will need to receive your email by 5pm GMT on 16 December 2021 to send your e-ticket before 24 December 2021.
E-tickets for bookings made after this date will be sent out after 4 January 2022.
See the House of Illustration website for more details