The V&A announces the shortlisted artists for the V&A Illustration Awards 2020, a celebration of excellence in student and published illustration over the last year.
From imaginary worlds and fairy-tales to the difficult reality of life in a refugee camp, this year’s shortlist demonstrates the versatility and breadth of contemporary illustration.
AOI’s CEO Ren Renwick joined Bonnie Greer, playwright, novelist, critic and broadcaster, and Dr Tristram Hunt, Director of the V&A Museum to judge the Published work. Sheri Gee, Art Director at The Folio Society and Yehrin Tong, Illustrator and past winner of the V&A Illustration Awards judged the Student Award.
The 2020 shortlist in full:
Book Cover Design
- Eleanor Taylor / Night Theatre. Published by Serpent’s Tail
- Eva Eland/ When Sadness Comes to Call. Published by Andersen Press
- Kustaa Saksi / The Baron in the Trees. Published by Vintage Classics
Student Illustrator of the Year
- Kate Winter / Lascaux. Anglia Ruskin University (Cambridge School of Art)
- Laura Winstone / The Catmolean Museum. Anglia Ruskin University (Cambridge School of Art)
- Ruo Hsin Wu / Starring Night Royal College of Art
- Sally Dunne / Home in the Kakuma Refugee Camp. Anglia Ruskin University (Cambridge School of Art)
- Vyara Boyadjieva / The Wave. Anglia Ruskin University (Cambridge School of Art)
All this year’s eligible entries are available to view in an online gallery at https://illustration-awards.vam.ac.uk/gallery/jkvONDqX
Winners will be announced at an awards ceremony at the V&A on Monday 1 June, the evening before the display opens. The display will open Tuesday 2 June until Sunday 13 December.
Free to enter each year, the Awards are integral to the V&A’s mission to inspire and promote creativity. The Awards are generously supported by the Enid Linder Foundation and the Moira Gemmill Memorial Fund.