Autumn 2015 symposium – Birmingham City University
An open call is made from the VaroomLab illustration research network for contributions that consider the theme of Visionaries and how this is manifested within Illustration. Successful contributors will be invited to present at the Visionaries symposium held at Birmingham City University in 2015.
Submissions can take the form of presentations or papers. VaroomLab is keen to involve practising illustrators and commissioners as well as academics and theory and practice-based researchers from within illustration and across disciplines.
Abstracts deadline 2 February 2015 to Jo Davies [email protected] (What is an abstract?)
THEME – VISIONARIES
A Visionary is characterised by vision or foresight, given to apparitions, prophecies, or revelations. One who may have speculative but imaginative new ideas, envisioning things in perfect form, possibly having the nature of fantasies or dreams.
Submissions may reflect on some of these ideas or identify other areas in response to the theme of Visionary:
- The Illustrator as visionary
- Narrative developments
- Pollination and Collaborative understandings across disciplines
- Communication and Language
- Anticipating the future
- Mavericks and pioneers
- Magic, invention or formula
- Vision and Propaganda
- Innovation, revolution and discovery
- Crossing over into music/sound/performance
- Working on the edges of disciplines
- Breaking the rules/ making the rules
- Looking beyond the obvious
- Future thinking in educational or professional developments
- Evolution – where are we heading?
The symposium will include a mix of academic papers, professional presentations, Pecha Kucha presentations, panel events and discussions to benefit a broad range of participants.
For more details go here
Contributions to the Visionaries symposium will be published in the VaroomLab Journal. Issues 1 and 2 are available for download here, and issue 3 on Interpretation will be published in early 2015.
Illustration Derek Brazell